Frequently Asked Questions

City Recorder/Finance FAQs

>More Information About the City Recorder/Finance Department

Question- What can be paid online?
Answer- Property taxes and utilities may be paid online through our online payment systems.

Question- Do I need a license to operate a business in Lexington?
Answer -Different businesses have different requirements, but most businesses do need a city and county business license.  The city’s application is downloadable on the forms page and is $15.00 for each application.  The application must be turned in at City Hall, 33 First Street. Contact the Henderson County Court Clerk’s office, (731) 968-2856, located in the Henderson County Court House for information on their license.

Question- How do I renew or close out my business license?
Answer- Business licenses are reported/renewed and closed out online through the State of Tennessee Department of Revenue.

Question- When are property taxes due and what is the penalty for paying late?
Answer- Current property taxes may be paid without penalty through February 28.  Penalty begins on March 1 and accrues at a rate of 1.5% per month.

Question- Can I make a partial payment on my taxes?
Answer- No. Partial payments are not accepted.

Question- How do I change my address for property tax purposes?
Answer- Contact the Henderson County Property Tax Assessor’s office at (731) 968-6881.

Question- What if I do not receive a property tax bill?
Answer- Property tax notices are not required by state law, but are sent to you as a courtesy and reminder. If you need a duplicate bill, please contact the City Recorder’s office at (731) 968-6657.

Question- What if I have recently refinanced my mortgage and I’m not sure if the company has paid the property taxes?
Answer- If you have changed mortgage companies within the last year and they are responsible for paying your property tax, we suggest that you forward your bill to the new mortgage company, just to make certain that they have your information. We also suggest that you use our online services to verify that the current taxes have been paid.

Question- I am a new property owner.  Will the property tax bill be sent to me?
Answer- Not necessarily. The assessment date is January 1 of the tax period. The property is legally assessed and billed to the owner as of that date. If you are a new owner and did not receive a bill, please call the City Recorder’s office at (731) 968-6657 to request a duplicate.

Question- If property taxes are not paid, will the property be sold?
Answer- The Henderson County Clerk and Master conducts annual tax sales on parcels of property that have delinquent taxes for 2 years or more. This information comes from the Clerk and Master’s office. For more information, please contact them at (731) 968-2801.

Question- Is there any financial assistance available to help pay property tax?

Answer- Yes. The State of Tennessee has tax relief programs for certain elderly or disabled homeowners and also for disabled veterans. Applications for state tax relief can be completed at the Henderson County Trustee’s office located in the Henderson County Courthouse or at City Hall. Information is available at the Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury Division of Property Assessments.

Question- Who can answer my questions about my property evaluation?
Answer- The Henderson County Tax Assessor values all property and can be reached at (731) 968-6881.

Question- What is tangible personal property?
Answer- Tangible personal property is moveable, touchable property used in a business. It includes furniture, computers, machinery, tools, supplies, raw material, vehicles, scrap and other property not listed as real estate. Tanks, billboards and pipelines are tangible personal property unless classified as real property. Contact the Henderson County Tax Assessors office at (731) 968-6881 with any questions regarding your tangible personal property schedule.

Question- Is there a local senior citizen program?
Answer- Yes. For information, call the Henderson County Senior Center at (731) 968-4222.

Question- How do I notify the city about possible code violations?
Answer- The Codes Enforcement Officer can be reached at City Hall by calling (731) 968-6657.

Question- Can I vote in city elections and where do I register to vote?
Answer- The Henderson County Election Commission can answer all questions regarding voting eligibility.  The phone number is (731) 968-6832.

Question- How do I get on a city meeting agenda?
Answer- You may call City Hall at (731) 968-6657.

Question- How do I reserve a pavilion at one of the city parks?
Answer- Contact City Hall at (731) 968-6657. 

Question- How do I get in touch with animal control?
Answer- Call the Police Department at (731) 968-6666 and the dispatcher will contact the Animal Control Officer.

Question- Do I need a permit to have a garage/yard sale?
Answer- No permit is required, however, such sales will be limited to a time period of no more than seventy-two (72) hours per month, at which time the goods exhibited must be moved inside a principal or enclosed structure.

Question- How do I get help regarding child abuse/neglect?
Answer- You may contact the Lexington Police Department at (731) 968-6666 or the Department of Human Services at (731) 968-3652.

Question- In the event of severe weather warnings, is there a safe shelter open to the public?
Answer- The Watson Building (formerly the Henderson County Jail) located at 50 Natchez Trace Drive is utilized as a shelter for inclement weather.  Call the Henderson County Emergency Management office at (731) 968-1567 for details.




Municipal Court FAQs

>More Information About the Municipal Court

Question- When and where can I pay a citation?
Answer- Fines can be paid up to two weeks after your court date and not before. In order to know what the fine is contact the City Hall at (731) 968-6657 or visit at 33 First Street; in addition it can be mailed to P.O. Box 1699, Lexington, TN 38351.

Question- What do I do if my license has been cancelled, suspended or revoked?
Answer- It’s easy; Visit the TN Department of Safety & Homeland Security. They have outlined everything in detail.

Question- I have a head light out and received a citation….. can I come to the Police Station to show that I got it fixed?
Answer- Yes. Simply come to 88 First Street, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Ensure that you have the copy of your citation and proof that the light has been repaired.

Question- What is the minimum liability insurance needed to operate a motor vehicle?
Answer- The Tennessee Code Annotated (TCA) 55-12-102(12) references minimum limits of liability for the state of Tennessee which currently are:

•$25,000.00 for one injury or death
•$50,000.00 for all injuries or deaths
•$15,000.00 for property damage for one accident


Fire Department FAQs

>Visit the Lexington Fire Department Website

Question- How do I get a fire report?
Answer- Fire reports are available during normal business hours at no charge at our central station located at 88 First Street in Lexington.

Question- Do I need a permit to burn leaves or brush in the city?
Answer- Yes, a burn permit can be obtained in person or by phone at our central station located at 88 First Street in Lexington. Phone non-emergency number is 731-968-8219

Question- Does the fire department re-fill fire extinguishers for the public?
Answer- No, but a refillable fire extinguisher can be dropped off at our central station located at 88First Street in Lexington and a certified technician will re-fill it for a fee.

Question- How can I become a volunteer firefighter with the Lexington Fire Department?
Answer- Applications for volunteer membership can be downloaded from this website or picked up at our central station located at 88 First Street in Lexington. Applications must be submitted at the central station.

Question- How can I get a fire code inspection for my business?
Answer- Requests for fire code inspections are made in person or by phone at our central station located at 88 First Street in Lexington. Phone non-emergency number is 731-968-8219

Question- When is a good time to burn leaves or brush?
Answer- Ideally outdoor burning of leaves or brush should be done when wind speed is low and relative humidity is high. Click on burn ordinance in this website for a complete list of rules and regulations regarding outdoor burning.   

Question- Can I get new smoke alarms from the fire department?
Answer- Yes, we currently have 10-year maintenance free smoke alarms free to the public. The smoke  alarms were obtained through the “GET ALARMED TENNESSEE SMOKE ALARM PROGRAM”  which is administered by the Tennessee State Fire Marshall’s Office. The goal of the program is to install these smoke alarms in homes in need across the state while also educating the  residents of fire safety measures.  

Question- Can I get my smoke alarms installed by the fire department?
Answer- Yes, our department staff will install your smoke alarms for you at no cost.

Parks & Recreation FAQs

>More Information About the Parks & Recreation Department

Question- What is the address to Guy B. Amis Park?
Answer- Guy B. Amis Park is located at 879 Natchez Trace Drive, Lexington, TN 38351.



Police Department FAQs

>Visit the Lexington Police Department Website

Question- I had a motor vehicle accident, when and where I can get a copy of the report?
Answer- To obtain a copy of your accident, visit our agency at 88 First Street approximately one week from your accident or call us at (731) 968-6666. Please ensure that you have the tracking # that the officer provided the day of the accident along with five dollars for the report.

Question- I was stopped by an officer and received a citation, do I have to show up for court?
Answer- Depends on the citation. All citations written for “Financial Responsibility” (no proof of insurance) must report to court at the appropriate time. All others may be paid at the City Hall within two weeks of the court date.

Question- My spouse and I are having trouble with our car seat. Do you have an officer that can assist?
Answer- Yes. Please come by our agency at 88 First Street and we will have one of our certified child safety seat officers place your seat in the car.

Question- My spouse and I are leaving for vacation. Do you have a “house watch” available while we are gone?
Answer- Absolutely. Contact our agency and we will place your residence on the “house watch” list for patrol until you get home.

Question- When can my child quit riding in a booster seat?
Answer- Children age four (4) through age eight (8), and measuring less than four feet nine inches (4'9") in height, must be secured in a belt-positioning booster seat system, meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards in the rear seat, if available, or according to the child safety restraint system or vehicle manufacturer's instructions. (Note: If the child is not between age four (4) and age eight (8), but is less than four feet nine inches (4'9") in height, he/she must still use a seat belt system meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards.)
Please visit the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security for more information.

Question- Can I bring my pet to the City Park?
Answer- No. Animals/pets are not allowed at any city park. View The City of Lexington's Municipal Code for explanations. (20-501, page 352 or 20-9)

Question- I have medication that I’m not taking anymore, where can I take it?
Answer- I’m glad you asked. We have a drop box in the lobby of our agency located at 88 First Street. Simply bring any of your old or unwanted prescription drugs and place in the box. Items accepted include: Prescriptions, over the counter medications, pet medications, medicated ointment, lotions or drops, liquid medications (in leak-proof containers), inhalers and/or pills in any packaging (glass bottles, plastic containers, plastic bags, etc.) Items not accepted include: Illegal drugs & narcotics (although police will accept these items if placed in the containers), sharps/needles, blood sugar equipment, thermometers, IV bags, bloody or infectious waste, personal care products (shampoo, lotions, etc). Visit the Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation for additional details.

Question- My vehicle was impounded, what do I do?
Answer- When a vehicle is impounded it can be very stressful. The arresting officer provides a copy of the seizure form to the person in control of the vehicle. Please read this form carefully and comply to its instructions. Once the vehicle is seized, it will be stored at our impound lot located at our agency at 88 First Street. You or a designee are allowed to come and retrieve items from the vehicle from the hours of 6am-2pm Monday thru Friday. If you have any questions, please contact Assistant Chief Barry Roberts at (731) 968-6666 or visit the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security for more information.


Public Works FAQs

>More Information About Public Works





Utilities Department FAQs

>More Information About the Lexington Utilities Department

Question-  Why am I charged for both Operating Cost (GS) and Wholesale Cost (G2) for gas service?
Answer- Lexington Gas began charging customers for their gas usage on a Purchase Gas Adjustment (PGA) rate in September 2008.  Due to the rise and fall of gas prices, Lexington Gas charges their customers the same rate as we are charged on a monthly PGA rate.  If gas prices rise, customers pay the increased price, but if the rate falls, customers pay less.  While the operating cost is shown separate, it is based on the amount each customer uses each month.  This rate is fixed and has not increased since 2008.  It is based on the cost associated with maintaining our lines, equipment and certified employees.  Both these costs were included in a single rate prior to 2008 which did not allow for fluctuations in the price of gas.

Question-  Can I pay my bill online?
Answer- Yes.  There is a link on our Utility home page that directs you to the site to register if you desire.  Once registered you will no longer receive a paper statement but will be able to view it online.  You will be notified by email when your statement is available.  Your past year statements are always available on your online account page for quick viewing.  Paying your account is made easy by either a credit card or your checking account by following the easy instructions on the site.

Question-  Why is my water/sewer bill so high?
Answer- Each customer should always examine their statement each month to watch for changes in their usage.
Small leaks like a dripping faucet or a continually running commode can be very costly.  If you have questions regarding your usage, call our office for a service tech to come out and examine the meter for usage and whether a leak may be occurring at that moment.

Question-  What should I do if I smell natural gas?
Answer- Call Lexington Gas Department (731-968-2917) immediately.  We have dispatchers on call 24-7, 365 days a year to respond to a possible gas leak whether inside or out.  Be prepared to answer some very important questions and listen for instructions given by the dispatcher.  The four most important things to remember are (1) do not strike matches, (2) do not operate electric switches, (3) do not use phone, (4) evacuate the premises and contact Lexington Utilities.

Question-  My water looks milky?
Answer- We receive this question a lot immediately following a break in a main line where air is introduced into the line then churned together with the water and gives the water a white appearance.  Although it is perfectly safe to drink, it does cause concern.  The easiest test to see if this is the problem is to set a glass of water aside for several minutes to allow the air to dissipate which should result in clear water.  We flush the lines in areas where a break has occurred however, this process is not always successful in removing the trapped air.  If this does not clear up in a couple of days, please contact our office and we will do our best to improve the appearance.



  City of Lexington | 33 First Street | Lexington, TN | (731) 968-6657
Local Government Corporation | Email the Webmaster
This Area For Employees Only